Those of you who warned me this little ten item list would be difficult? You were absolutely right.
The idea is to choose 10 poems that serve as an introduction to my work. In my diplomatic approach to crisis of any kind, I ended up with 2 lists. One recounts poets who influenced me over the many years. This one is a group of poems that I felt might help a new reader to my work understand it a little better.
- "Five Years Old" by James Tate
- Black Holes, Black Stockings by Jane Miller and Olga Broumas
- "Insomnia" by Elizabeth Bishop
- "Snow Line" by John Berryman
- "I Know a Man" by Robert Creeley
- The Battlefield Where the Moon Says I Love You by Frank Stanford
- "Fission" by Jorie Graham
- Anne Carson, "The Life of Towns"
- Lynn Emmanuel, "Inside Gertrude Stein"
Since I put eleven items on my last list of ten, it’s okay for this one to have only nine, right?